How can I work around the app being forced to stop after the RECORD_AUDIO permission is removed on the Fire tablet?

Since the beginning of June 2024, we have been very troubled by the following problem on over 100 Fire tablets that we are aware of. If anyone knows how to work around this glitch event, please let us know.

・The app with RECORD_AUDIO permission stops unexpectedly and suddenly.
・This event occurs whether the app is in the foreground, background, or stopped.
・When this event occurs, the RECORD_AUDIO privilege granted to the app is lost.
If the app is restarted in this state, it will ask for permission to access the microphone again.
・These events began to occur frequently in June 2024, and at this time, they occur at least once a day.
・The loss of RECORD_AUDIO permission occurs whether the affected app is running or stopped.
(However, the camera app that comes standard with the Fire tablet is not deleted.)
・This event occurs in any version of Fire OS 8.3.2.1 to 8.3.2.4.
・This event has been confirmed to occur on the Fire7, FireHD8, and FireHD8Plus released in 2022.
・The Microsoft Skype app is included in the list of apps that have been confirmed to experience this issue.
Other voice recorder apps also reproduce the issue.
・The following logs are recorded when a bug report is obtained using the developer tools immediately after the bug occurs.

ActivityManager: Killing 3955:jp.c3connector.careconnector/u0a271 (adj 0): permissions revoked

・This event will reproduce itself almost 24 hours after the last time the Fire tablet was started.
Therefore, if the tablet is repeatedly restarted before 24 hours have elapsed, the event will not be reproduced.
・This event is not affected by the last launch time of the affected application.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hello,

Thanks for posting! We have messaged the appropriate team for further investigation and will let you know once we receive an update.

Hello, Emma!

We really appreciate your assistance as we were already in limbo and in need of help.
We are hoping that good information will be brought to us at the earliest opportunity.

Thank you.

Hi, there!

We will share what today’s verification revealed.

・This event does not occur when the tablet’s WiFi is disconnected, even if it is time for the event to reappear.
However, when the tablet’s WiFi is reconnected and connected to the Internet, the event will be reproduced in a few tens of seconds.

That’s all.

We have been plagued by this mysterious event for almost two weeks now.
We hope that this event can be avoided as soon as possible and that our 100+ tablet devices will be restored to normal.

Thank you.

Hi!
It is incredibly hot here today!

Is the glitch event we posted not reproduced on your devices? If so, this issue may only occur on Fire tablets operating in Japan.

It has been 17 days since we discovered this glitch event, and we have not been able to prevent the unexpected and violent deletion of microphone privileges once a day.
We have been looking for a workaround every day, but have found no workaround at all.
If anyone knows of a workaround, even a temporary one, please let us know.

If this continues we will lose customers who are utilizing over 100 Fire terminals.
Please help us.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Tamura,

Could you please share below information with us:

• DSN of the device
  • App and the App version with which this issue occurs

Can you please also try to reset the device and see if the issue persists?

Hi, Emma!

Thanks for the question.

・DSN of the device

Is four enough?

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

I’m sorry, but it’s an event that happens on more than 100 Fire7s.

・App and the App version with which this issue occurs

Microsoft Skype

Version 8.122.0.205

Many other third-party apps that use microphone privileges reproduce the event.
However, the event does not occur with the standard applications (e.g., camera) on the Fire7 tablet.

It only occurs once a day, but I believe it can be reproduced on your Fire7 with a little experimentation.
If you want to control the time of day when it occurs, simply restart the Fire7.
The next day after the restart, the event will reproduce around the time of the restart.

We are hopeful that we will be able to make progress in understanding the cause of the problem.

Thank you.

Thanks for providing the information. I have passed the information to the internal team for further investigation. We will update you once we hear back from them.

1 Like

We are still experiencing the problem.
How can we avoid this failure event?

Is the fault event not reproduced by the team in charge at Amazon?
Or is this issue so troublesome that the priority of the measure has been lowered?
We would like a view from the team in charge at Amazon.

Thank you.

Still missing information provided by us?
If this seems to be missing, please contact me to let me know what information you need.
We look forward to hearing from you.

Hi d-tamura,

Thank you for your continued patience. Our investigating teams are still working on your situation and we will provide an update when further information is available.

Hi, Emma!

Thanks for contacting us.

In our research we found the following articles

Fully Kiosk Browser & App Lockdown Help - Fully Kiosk Browser
FAQs:
Can I use Fully Kiosk with an Amazon Fire device?
4.There is a bug in the newer Fire OS 7.3.1.5+ that the granted microphone access permission gets lost sometimes. You can deny this permission as workaround. The depending features in Fully Kiosk like Acoustic Motion Detection of cause won’t work.

Unfortunately, the source of the information on which this article is based is unknown, but it is for reference only.

Is this point true?

I know you are busy, but please keep us posted.
We hope you receive good news as soon as possible.

Thank you for your support.

Thank you for providing further information. I will forward it to the internal teams.

Hi, there!

Very unfortunately, the problems we are encountering are still ongoing.
There is no sign of improvement at all.

Amazon has not even contacted me with the results of whether or not the problem can be reproduced.
Nor have we received any hints for a workaround.

Does this glitch we are encountering not reproduce itself on the devices you are reading this post on?

At the very least, we would like to isolate whether the problems we are encountering occur on all terminals or just ours.

The way to check is simple.

Wait a day with microphone privileges granted to an application that requires microphone privileges, such as Microsoft Skype.
Any other voice recorder app will do.

The next day, if the microphone privilege has been removed, the problem is reproduced.
The problem will occur even if you are not using app or are in the middle of using app.

We look forward to your cooperation.

Thank you.

Same issue here,

Running only 2-3 apps:

Android IP Webcam
Fully Kiosk
(Home Assistant Companion)

Issue happens accross 4 different Fire HD10+'es.

Exactly like this thread explains, in every detail.

Hoping for a fix for these beautiful and unique (wireless charging) tablets.

Kind regards,

Hi Thomas_Brasser!

Thanks for the info on the reproducibility of the glitch!
We have confirmed that the event occurs outside of our tablets.

We hope this problem will be fixed as soon as possible!

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. We are actively investigating this issue, but it may take some time to deploy a fix. We will let you know once we have any updates. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Hi Emma!

Thanks for taking the time to follow up!

Unfortunately, our business may end first, but we hope this issue will be resolved soon.

Thank you.

Hi @d-tamura ,

Could you please let us know the source of installation for the apps in question? Also, could you check if the apps downloaded from the Amazon Appstore are also experiencing the issue?

Hi Emma.

The apps that cause the glitch event are downloaded and installed from the Amazon App Store.
It happens in Skype and other apps that use microphone privileges, too.

I have told you about this from the beginning, but have you forgotten?
We are very disappointed to have received such a question at this point.

Please refer to our previous conversations.

Thank you.

1 Like